PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Vs EU
Thread: China Vs EU
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2012, 23:03
Uncle Fred

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
I am not quite sure how heavily it would weigh into this situation but for those who are keenly watching the rise of China as a world power it makes one wonder if this is perhaps one of the many steps that it has made to string an arrow or two from its quiver of state elements of power. All nascent A-list nations have done it throughout history and we see it to a certain extent with the Chinese--military power, economic power, diplomatic etc. Not that it is bad--it is just what nation states do.

I am not saying that this specific incident is in any way a power play as I am not an Sinologist, but smart people are saying that China is starting to feel it oats and it some areas it will be quite deft, in others less polished. It goes to follow then that if it is flexing some economic muscle that it did so with diplomatic backing. Either that or else it acted without first considering that it was going to need some top cover from the striped pants set--something that I frankly doubt.

Either way, this one might just have a bit more shading to it than we think at first blush.