PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 6th Jan 2012, 19:40
StopStart

Champagne anyone...?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Stall

At last, some common sense. Purely as an outside observer some of you are banging on as if BA are demanding the head of your first born child and then billing you to clean the guillotine. A week ago everyone was over the moon at being in the hold pool - now everyones off to join Ryanair instead because they won't be left hand seat billionaires on the day they expected.

As a casual observer I'd suggest that BA offers good pay, stability, a wide and varied fleet and route network and, perhaps, the kudos that goes with flying for our biggest legacy carrier (meh). A rejig of the already generous pay scales and suddenly everyone is decrying the loss of half a million pounds each over their career (note - career. That's what a big airline like BA offers by the way). Get over yourselves. There's a global recession and Europe is about to vanish up its own arse. In these straightened times the evil management have to do what they can to keep profits up/existent and to keep the evil shareholders (investors) happy - frankly I'm surprised they find the time to gather round the cauldron and plot the next way to piss off the hated pilots....

If its the loss of the quarter of a million pounds over your lifetime that is causing such distress then stay where you are. Simple. You'll get your command sooner and everyone will be happy. I assume though that when they asked why you wanted to join BA you said it was for the money? Fair enough then. Give em a ring on Monday and tell em you're no longer interested. I suspect it would take them just under one femtosecond to replace you.

BA are changing their pay scales. If it was applied across the board they'd have to deal with all manner of internal ructions from people on established contracts (and rightly so). Instead they draw a line in the sand and apply the new contracts thenceforth. You lot who haven't signed contracts yet have no input as you aren't employees. As I said before, take it or leave it. I'd suggest taking it. I can count the number of uk airlines that pay SFOs over £100000k on the fingers of one foot.

You could of course rush off to Emirates et al where the streets are paved with gold - although seeing as you wanted join BA solely for the money it seems a little odd that you didn't go to the ME in the first place. They pay lots.