PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyclone Tracy 1974
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2012, 16:08
bekolblockage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was 16 at the time and flew out on a 727 direct to ADL on the 28th from recollection. Can't recall if it was Ansett or TAA I'm afraid. I vividly remember being packed in like sardines. Every row had 4 people to 3 seats with lots of additional babies/young kids being nursed. Takeoff roll seemed to take for ever.

In one of the photos taken as we taxied out there is an F27 parked out front of where the Aero club used to be (Southern side of the airport then). The F27 is wearing a scheme similar to Aircruisings, (but of course they weren't around then). There is also a very sad looking bright yellow C310 that certainly wasn't parked that way up against the side of what was eventually the Lloyd's Hangar.
Used to work at Arnhem Air Charter during my school holidays and had just started to learn to fly at the Aero Club (TIF with WC Monoghan???- don't have my first logbook to hand). I seem to recall that was actually a Fairchild 227 owned by Freeport that used to do mining runs from Darwin to Papua. Have several photos of it with a few lighties from the surrounding tarmac piled into the leading edges/engines, including Ossie Osgood's brand new Cherokee 6. The 310 was one of SAATAS' (South Aust And Territory Air Services) imbedded in the hangar door next Arnhem Air's hangar.

Brings back memories. Thanks for the thread.

Edit: On reflection, the 310 on its side belonged to Airfast I think. Photos are in Oz somewhere.

Last edited by bekolblockage; 6th Jan 2012 at 16:43.