PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Vs EU
Thread: China Vs EU
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2012, 12:13
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brie wrote... "Even as a pilot i'm not really against the ETS since i think aviation is indeed partly responsible for the emission of carbondioxide. And yes if you are partly responsible you can not ignore your responsability.

BUT!!!!!!... I'm more worried about the fact what the collected money is being used for. If it is for green purposes, investing money in green projects, saving the world forrest, investing in alternative energy or i don't know what, YES, it get's my support.

However, if it is being used for, salary increase of commitee members, giving fundings to agriculture or tomato farmers in spain to boost economy (however these tomatoes will be destroyed because the price will be too low anyway), funding greek problems, that's it is a NO for me!!!

Why not making financial efforts of airliners to reduce CO2,making tax deductible?"

Most on here would agree with you on your points but the big problem is the unfair way on how the EU decided this carbon tax should be levied and where exactly the funds are going with no proof it will all be used towards some sort of fund for the environment?

If the EU had decided to levy the tax on aircraft while only in European airspace, then I could see this as normal but to tax all airlines from their departure points outside Europe is totally ridiculous.

Where is this going to stop? Now what if the USA, Canada, Russia, and China to name a few countries decide to retaliate and charge the same sort of tax to all airlines that fly over their airspace.

You now have not one but possibly two or three taxes being added to the cost of a ticket. Fly from London to Chicago and you would not only get the Euro tax, but a Canadian tax and an American tax charged to the operator who would then have to increase the ticket prices accordingly.

Just imagine if all countries decided to jump at the occasion of taxing all airliners when they overflew their airspace... What a nightmare!