PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Schooling, is your child primary 1 Sep 2012?
Old 6th Jan 2012, 05:15
flyingkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for you comments everyone.

Hang on,

We applied to 7 schools.

3 ESF schools during the only month last year they were open for applications. We are 700 on one list, 430 on another and 230 on another. No interviews. We are permanent residents, so this is not a factor as some may think. We are 430 on a list at a school that is zoned solely for our area.

CX offers 90 percept subsidies for these schools.

The other 4 schools, 75 per cent subsidy

Aussie school - $1500.00 HK dollars gets you on the list for 2 years prior to starting.

Harrow - $1000 dollars got us an interview with Fees $125000 per year and a capital levy of $50000 yearly. That’s nearly an extra $5000.00 0n top 25% per month we will pay.

South Lantau primary- We have gone from 19 to 33rd place school that takes only 12 new students because of other priorities. By the way then where?

The 4th well there is a possibility of getting onto there waiting list for a place after the interview, we have had our daughter on this list for 3.5 years. Again the fees are $150000 per year with a levy.

You ask what are we doing with our money? Probably the same as you, but why should you be paying $1000 dollars a month for school fees at ESF plus bus when the guy next door is paying levy’s and getting a 75 per cent subsidy for his school in this current climate, it’s hard to get into the ESF school. Discovery collage and the Aussie school are nearly on par in yearly fees not including the Aussie school levy.

The above people have obviously got their kids into a school so therefore please refrain from your rude banter we are doing everything we can to exhaust our options.
You may even have your child in the ESF system so are getting the cheap ride under the CX school scheme that some of us have not the privilege in having.

I have posted this because I would like to see if there are any others in the same position as us so that we can solve it together. My wife and children are important, I am hoping to have them not go back to our homeland and become a commuter. We enjoy our life in Hong Kong if you’re not happy at CX then leave; your rude comments are not needed here.

Last edited by flyingkiwi; 6th Jan 2012 at 11:29.