PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 down Rio de Janeiro
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2012, 22:18
cl12pv2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ReverseFlight,

Dude. You listed four recovery actions. One of them was 'closing the throttle'. While your post explains that these are 'beyond' the recommended techniques for use in low altitude / airspeed situations, you clearly caused some confusion for others. Some people asking why the 'throttle must be closed'.

Instead of explaining and clarifying your list, you replied with what I can presume was an attempt at poorly written sarcasm, which caused more confusion. I think you'd better read YOUR post more carefully.

Someone Asked:
Why would you want to close the throttle?

ReverseFlight said:
Apologies for regurgitating the FM. At the rate of rotation in the video, there is no need to close the throttle. Agree.
The recovery techniques I listed (in italics) were directly copied from the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, a training book. Not the FM. You will also find the same recovery technique listed in the FAA Advisory Circular 90-95.

You'll note that those techniques therefore state a complete recovery chain, rather than scenario specific actions. It also provides warnings regarding LTE at low altitude.

Since it is important to keep the entire section together, so no one can take any part out of context (as you have done), I'll repost it all here.

FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook

If a sudden unanticipated right yaw occurs, the following recovery technique should be performed.

Apply full left pedal while simultaneously moving cyclic control forward to increase speed. If altitude permits, reduce power. As recovery is effected, adjust controls for normal forward flight.

Collective pitch reduction aids in arresting the yaw rate but may cause an excessive rate of descent. Any large, rapid increase in collective to prevent ground or obstacle contact may further increase the yaw rate and decrease rotor r.p.m. The decision to reduce collective must be based on your assessment of the altitude available for recovery.

If the rotation cannot be stopped and ground contact is imminent, an autorotation may be the best course of action. Maintain full left pedal until the rotation stops, then adjust to maintain heading.
It is important that the steps above are learnt as the recovery techniques. They may have saved this pilot alone. Step 1 - APPLY FULL LEFT PEDAL!

If you have other techniques from dusty old videos, then be very clear, or you'll have people less learned than you closing throttles and milking collectives when all they need is APPLY FULL LEFT PEDAL.

cl12p2s