PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 5th Jan 2012, 22:03
carrots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The negotiations are over. BA pilots are being asked to vote on the options in front of them. It's either crap now, or very crap in the near future.

Why will there not be a better offer on the table? Because BA have figured out what saving to mainline make it worthwhile not riding out a strike (as they have successfully done already with the cabin crew). We say no, BMI becomes BA express, regardless of strike threats or 'staying together'. IAG have deeper pockets than pilots and will win. Those in the hold pool need not worry about 34 pay points as there will be 1 (around what easy/Ryan pay, there will still be no shortage of takers). Enjoy 900 hours and airport hotels.

Granted a new pay scale is not nice. I don't like it. I expect it is there because the BACC have thought that shorthaul working 5% harder, losing 2 days leave, giving up holiday pay on top of the 5% pay cut and productivity increases of a couple of years ago was about the most BA pilots could stomach. Senior pilots looking at retirement in a few years may well have voted no to integration if they were expected to take a pay cut as well. This could have ruined it for everyone.

No doubt some 34 pay pointers will be resentful and I doubt 24 pay points will survive the length of my career. However, if I were in the hold pool I'd be trying to encourage BA pilots to vote yes, not picking fights over one element of the wholely crap deal, so that I have a career airline to join....