PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 5th Jan 2012, 21:58
UL975

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The introduction of a 34 point scale is hugely disappointing to both current BA pilots and future BA pilots. Please understand this is a take it or leave it offer from BA. We can accept the 'deal' which includes other unsavoury items or reject the deal and keep the current T&C's. If we reject the deal there will be no further offers of employment into BA, no 24 point scale or 34 point scale.

Do not get confused or bogged down in the detail and reasoning for BA wanting to make changes. They have the pilots over a barrel and are making a grab for our T&C's. The terms for compliance have been set out and the consequences for not complying are clearer. This is a small quote from our DFO from a long letter setting out the terms...."While this scenario would avoid accepting the change proposals, it would come at a significant cost in terms of denying British Airways pilots the confidence of owning their own growth within a career structure they recognize and benefit from". These are very carefully chosen words.

As for planning your career moves, I would like to think that BA will always have industry leading terms and conditions and will be 'the place to be'. I understand that the more time one has in other airlines or industries and the older one is the decision to move is based on finer details. Having said that, BA's T&C are as good and as leading as they will EVER be. There is only one direction that the T&Cs can go and that is down to meet those of other airlines. I believe in the long run the differences between the major players will be very small as airlines seek the greatest productivity for the least possible pay. The important questions will boil down to lifestyle, loss of licence, staff travel, time to command etc all very personal to individual requirements.

Back to the pay points, the new scales retain the old pensionable pay rates so you do not lose out there. Also don't look too far into the future, I sit around pp5 and consider if I see anything beyond pp10-15 as a bonus! The pressure on this industry is huge, T&C's are changing quicker than ever and BA want change. They have set out the terms and given us until the end of the month to think about it. If you aspire to work for BA then hope that we accept the deal, otherwise expect IB Express or Openskies pay scales at a new Heathrow based IAG owned airline.

Lastly we are VERY concerned about the new pay scales, it has always been the line in the sand for many. Morally because we don't wish to see colleagues on a lesser scale, but we also understand the pressure it will put on current scales. By bringing this to the table/ shopping list now BA have us by the balls. In the long term do you think the new scale will rise to meet the old scale? Or will the old scale fall in line with the new scale, creating further downward pressure on the entire industries pay?

How would you vote in this Hobson's choice?