PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatic tourer... suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2012, 18:51
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingStone
Both Thielert and Austro Engine have very strict requirements about maximum negative loads on the engine and in most installations, intentional negative manuevers are prohibited (although the aircraft structurally withstand the CS-23 required load). I doubt you'll see a diesel-equipped aerobatic aircraft very soon, especially with all current engines having such high fuel pressure requirements (Common Rail). However if AustroEngine (in co-operation with Steyr Motors) really developes a mechanical injected diesel engine, it probably could be modified with a dry sump for aerobatical flights. The real question is: is the market for such an engine large enough?
I'm still waiting for one of these 500bhp V12 diesel lumps to bolt onto the front of the Yak...

http://www.raikhlin.com/RED-3s.pdf

Dry sump, you'll note. Not sure what would happen to the crankshaft when you tumble the brute though.

Originally Posted by Human Factor
The only thing which will go down your spine if you try serious touring in a -52 is Sciatica.
Lightweight. Besides, I seem to recall you taking the 182 leaving muggins to fly the tractor to Mull....and back. That was three years ago and my derriere is still numb.

Originally Posted by Wide-Body
If your feeling wealthy then the Sbach 342 with the optional luggage rack is the aircraft of the moment. Its fast and FULLY aerobatic and long range.
The front seat of the 342 is so well reclined that all you need is a small duvet and a pillow and you've got the perfect recipe for an in-flight kip. Sadly, my attempt to get some shut-eye was interrupted by the estimable Phillip S. demonstrating what the Sbach does when you put the controls in all of the corners, repeatedly. Stonking bit of kit. Can't wait to see what happens when they stick an M14P on the front.