PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - a debate about a debate
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2012, 18:17
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
The "debate" question itself is fair. There are too many differing circumstances and emotions for any one answer to be the better answer. In my opinion, no matter what, "the dust has to settle" before the chatter and speculation has a place. I wonder if the "dust has settled" on this event yet? I think perhaps not.

Once chatter and speculation approaches being appropriate, what is it's purpose? If people can learn, and prevent a reoccurance, it has merit, as long as it does not perpetuate the torment of the victims, which certainly includes the family and friends. Could torment be perpetuated in this situation? Could be.

Does the event have flying element? Believing:

Dave was collecting something from the aircraft, not flying, taxiing, ground running engines or in fact doing anything aviation related
Perhaps not.

I have no need to speculate, or drum up chatter in this case, other than to express genuine compassion to a member of our group, who's in a tough place in life.

In other cases which come to mind (aircraft landing in the Derwent river), I agree with VanHork. The debate should rage on! What makes the difference for me between this, and that? I'm not completely sure. A reasonable person, now suffering through bad burns, factors heavily on my mind, and gives me pause. A pilot with an apparent history of flying beyond the edge, splashing an assumed serviceable land plane, gives me something to openly speculate and chatter about!

The debates should rage on, though I hope that simple compassion causes them to sidestep certain events, and JetBlu's would be one for me.