PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 5th Jan 2012, 18:14
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALLOW
Also would it not make more sense purely from a business IAG point of view to make all the current pilots take a hit?? Surely this would save considerably more money for the airline. Over night all the pilots are now more efficient, not just the future ones......
Incorrect, it doesn't do anything for efficiency at all. It saves money, but it doesn't make it efficient. BA's assertion is that shorthaul isn't profitable and they don't want an unprofitable business unit. Handing money over from all BA pilots doesn't do anything to make shorthaul more efficient.

This is surely the most logical option from a cost saving point of view. The current option is not a great revenue earner short term.
Why is it logical? They need to keep the current work force on board. Why do you think BA are only looking sort term? Sustainable short haul profitability beyond 2020 is the goal.

Surely when your future colleagues are taking minimum of a 280k pay cut it's a problem, I'm amazed you don't care......This will hurt you in the future. Be under no illusion!!!!! Dare I say you may never see pp24
They are not taking a pay cut. The money was never there and they base their decision to join on whats available at the time of joining. I'd have loved to be on the APS pension scheme and have retired at 50. It wasn't available when I joined. That's tough $hit. Life isn't fair. Your logic is flawed. Don't be surprised by the response from BA pilots, it's what you are going to get throughout the company because people are realists. They are not going to take a whopping pay cut to eke out the 24 point pay scale just a little bit longer. The system was set up for an era when people did 30 years at BA then retired. Now people can do 45 years at BA. No point kicking the can down the road. Change is inevitable.

Originally Posted by FTC
If you are part of a recognised trade union I think you will find they are negotiable under UK employment law.
Come on, that kind of barrack-room lawyering doesn't do you any favours. So BALPA say they want to negotiate the new pay scales and BA say no. What do you suggest would happen next in the real world?

How will reducing the pp by £750 a year of 800 joiners save more money than reducing the pp by say £200 a year of all 3000+ pilots?
Why are you limiting it to 800 new joiners? Do you think BA are only looking at savings over the next 800 joiners? Or do you think they are looking 20 years ahead, to a time when people retire at 70+? Do you think 3260 pilots in BA now can save more than new payscales for every new joiner over the next 20 years? Really?