PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF nepotism
Thread: QF nepotism
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2002, 04:56
Al E. Vator

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
RaTa.........yes it's not to say that EVERY son or daughter automatically gets access to the "how to pass the 'aptitude' test course. No way.........imagine if SLAP had a kid, not even the unchecked nepotism would help there! Also it is of course not impossible for a cleanskin to get in, it's just that a significant group have coaching as to how to pass the aptitude test and that should be ruled-out.

Bubette....yes there are anti-discrimination laws in Oz which QF are painfully aware of. They don't discriminate as such, what they
do is give unfair advantage where deemed appropriate. I guess there is a difference somehow.

1013, yes you are so right about Ansett and to a degree you cant stop nepotism and perhaps neither you should. Not too sure about your point 'If the candidate is a ******** then they will get wiped naturally enough' though. I would argue that if you have the 'right stuff' for QF (school tie/family link etc) you could have 3 heads and be a complete social-misfit and still get in.

It's not the fact that a disproportionate number of QF offspring are successful - I actually reckon that to a degree should be encouraged (they know airline life, mum/dad has contributed to the success of the company etc). It is the fact that there is a culture within QF recruiting which permits the normal application process to be tampered with for the 'right' applicant. That applicant might be this years' CEO's favourite or the son of a mate of the Chief Pilot. Whoever they are, by being tutored on passing the decisive 'aptitude' test they are corruptly given a huge and unfair advantage over all the other poor bu99ers who don't have the luxury of knowing the right people.

For a publicly listed company and Australia's premier airline, this is a shameful and I believe unacceptable state of affairs.