PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Atlantic Glider revisited - official report released (Merged)
Old 21st Nov 2002, 03:41
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tomato Vs Tomahto.

To: Globaliser

The inquiry revealed that fuel management by the crew directly contributed to the total loss of the fuel.
When the management of a situation ends in a failure then assuming there were instructions to follow then it results in "mismanagement".

What I stated several posts above was that when the pilots became aware of the fuel imbalance conditions they followed the checklist to the letter. In other words, everything they did was in direct accordance with Airbus published procedures. By following those procedures they ran out of fuel and had to dead stick into a landing field many miles away.

Knowing how the various certification authorities work (FAA has a tombstone mentality) and the DGCA accuses the pilots and then creates an AD that fully explains what a pilot should have done when faced with a severe loss of fuel. I would strongly suggest that you check the instructions that existed at the time of the incident and compare it with the instructions contained in the AD.

I am personally aware of a situation where the DGCA told the FAA that a major design fault had been corrected when it had not and that the aircraft in question still has that design defect. Believe me the certification authorities do not always get it right.