PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHAMPTON
Thread: SOUTHAMPTON
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2012, 13:34
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osbo,

1. As someone who, until last year, taught aircraft performance I can assure you that my understanding of aircraft performance is not flawed. As I admitted, I am using older figures than the iPad performance.

2. In the interest of a balanced argument why don't you compare the two types using the same performance? Old paper stuff or iPad stuff. Or will you continue to ignore the fact that the Dash performance is going to improve and restore the balance!? I am, of course, assuming that the improvement for the Dash will be largely in line with the 175. A point not provable either way.

3. In which case all of the figures are accurate. IE at 10C the Dash will lift 4.0 tonnes (according to Capt AP) and the 175 4.5 tonnes according to you.

Who's going further?

For the sake of argument and only as a demonstration:

Dash at LRC will use about 800kg/h. TAS of 300kts.
175 at LRC will use about 1400kg/h (generous). TAS of 420kts (generous).

Giving the Dash an extra 150nm at least. Less fuel and less nav charges! So, reliability aside (I agree with you on that point) which is the more economical?

Even if you limit the 175 to 78 pax and carry 5.5 tonnes of fuel and using more sensible FF and TAS of 1500kg/h and 400kts the range is about the same. Still using more fuel and higher nav charges though!

I'm happy for you to show me the figures for the iPad performance for both types because until then your point is moot.