PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 down Rio de Janeiro
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2012, 05:48
cl12pv2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Why would you want to close the throttle?
Apologies for regurgitating the FM. At the rate of rotation in the video, there is no need to close the throttle. Agree.
I don't think the first mention of 'close the throttle' (ReverseFlight) was that carefully thought through. Or at least I hope not.

The idea is of course to REDUCE TORQUE. If that means reducing pitch, you must lower collective, which in turn should be accompanied by an appropriate closing of the throttle.

However, it is important that the 'throttle' is not the cause, and so cutting the engine completely is NOT necessary. More importantly, and Rotor RPM droop will result in tail rotor RPM droop. This is undesireable. Keep RPM up.

LTE recovery is simple and systematic.

FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook

If a sudden unanticipated right yaw occurs, the following recovery technique should be performed.

Apply full left pedal while simultaneously moving cyclic control forward to increase speed. If altitude permits, reduce power. As recovery is effected, adjust controls for normal forward flight.

Collective pitch reduction aids in arresting the yaw rate but may cause an excessive rate of descent. Any large, rapid increase in collective to prevent ground or obstacle contact may further increase the yaw rate and decrease rotor r.p.m. The decision to reduce collective must be based on your assessment of the altitude available for recovery.

If the rotation cannot be stopped and ground contact is imminent, an autorotation may be the best course of action. Maintain full left pedal until the rotation stops, then adjust to maintain heading.
ReverseFlight, for someone who has done much research, your recovery list appears somewhat confusing...or could be for beginners. I think I understand your points, but better to stick to the basics. If going into detail, then provide an explanation....I envisage some newbies 'chopping the throttle' based on your No. 1 suggestion!

*Edit* - You say your 1-4 response is regurgitating the FM? Is that really what the R44 manual says? I'm surprised. FAA certified aircraft!

FAA Advisory Circular - AC 90-95 - Unanticipated Right Yaw in Helicopters

Last edited by cl12pv2s; 5th Jan 2012 at 06:02.