PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyclone Tracy 1974
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2012, 04:55
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myself (PIC) and another TAA Skipper landed in DRW at 1100 hrs on the 27th Dec in VH-TFF a F27, with the sole purpose of picking up the Ladies about to give birth from the DRW Hospital. I spoke to the Base Commander, Air Commodore David Hitchins, and got help to clear a path to the aircraft, as the ambulances arrived. We left at 1324 with 40 last stage pregnant ladies (much to our horror) 2CC, 2 Nursing Sisters and one doctor, 2 cats in cages (they belonged to the hospital) and my memories are the total carnage, a DC3 firmly implanted in the Base Commanders house, and the fridge in the water tower (30MTRS up). It was all downhill from there. Two ladies were in labor, so we went straight to Isa, no joy there, they were already packed from those who went by car, so running out of hours and ideas, I called up Mackay, and pleaded (No, threatened) that we needed help, and finally got in there vastly relieved, as the noises up the back were becoming terrifying to say the least. The other pilot and myself staggered to the nearest pub, for fortification, and I of course somehow ended up with the cats, who both lived to a great age and cost a fortune in Vet bills. I never did find the owner. (We refuelled at both Tindall and ISA)