PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 4th Jan 2012, 23:59
Fate Hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a disappointment; inevitable but disappointing nontheless.

I fully understand the position between rock and a hard place in which BALPA must have found itself, and entirely agree that the creation of BA Express / alternative airlines is to be avoided for the future of the career in BA.

However, while the paypoints have become expensive for those reaching PP24 and sitting there for a long time, it is a less common scenario once the slight bulge has retired, DEPs form a greater proportion of new joiners than they did in the 70s/80s, and cadets are now typically older. Furthermore, there have been no cadets for 10 years and those of us in the new FPP group are far more diverse (in age) than the Hamble groups had been.

Thus, while one might imagine that the "triangle" of stepped earnings has been redistributed over a longer career, the cumulative effect of those lost earnings is not insignificant for those of us who might once have reached PP24, but now will not reach PP34 ever...unless the retirement age moves out to 75...

Well, at least my pension will be portable and my own funds in my own pot...