PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots: Is Anybody Interested in Being One? (AVWEB)
Old 4th Jan 2012, 23:23
E&H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep first thing I though when reading that post was to go and get some experience...anywhere...it's pretty much what every one of us has had to do...anyway...

Interesting post...not sure why anyone has to ask the question about why the standards are dropping though...one poster mentioned "pay peanuts get monkeys"...that about sums it up. The industry is choking itself...I know of one pilot who has made it his business to go out of his way to tell people not to become a pilot...not so sure I disagree with him. There are other posts on this site which ask the question about integrity in the industry...many question the outlay for the reward...in the States it seems being furloughed is par for the course...back of the clock flights, it isn't the healthiest of lifestyles, not so good for partners and families, I've lost count of birthdays, anniverseries, school plays, christmasses that I've missed.

Crap pay at commencement (not uncommon for many industries) and crap conditions...if you're fortunate perhaps in the last 10 to 15 years of your career it will start to show some reward...by that time statistics show that you will probably be divorced.

I find it very difficult to be enthusiastic to anyone who asks me about a career as a pilot. Management continually reneg on terms and conditions...you have to fight for every entitlement...

I am fortunate in that I enjoy my present job and love the flying...It is interesting to note that in the last round of job offers (5 pilots for turboprops) none were under 30, average age was 38...in terms of experience we are getting to the bottom again. One of those recruits left after 4 weeks due the fact that the company didn't comply with the terms under which he was employed...we often interview but get no takers when they find out what the terms and conditions are...and yet still the company persists in offering these same T&C's...take it or leave it, so they leave it and the company still seems to not "get it"?

I find it really very easy to understand why younger people do not want to be involved in this industry...every time the CEO's appear on the TV saying how "well paid the pilots are and yet I must drive this pay and these conditions down" they are driving another nail into their industry.

My belief is that the industry will look more and more to developing countries for their flight crew...if you're smart you will get some training experience and go overseas and train them...same thing happens in the maritime industry, it's called flag of convenience.

Why are the standards dropping?? Can't believe anyone would even have to ask that question!!!