PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran Threatens to Close Strait of Hormuz
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2012, 22:13
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea about the AIP conversion but it sounds unlikely. from what I am reading Iran is in the process of updating one of her Kilo class

The report also said Iran has encountered difficulties in operating Kilo, acquired in the early 1990s. In 2008, Iran began a modernization of the first Kilo, named Tareq, at the navy's base at Bandar Abbas in cooperation with the Russian shipyard Sevrnash.
but whilst we all discuss that class of boat are we forgetting the fact that Iran has not only built its own mini\midget submarines it is also purchasing these small vessels from the likes of North Korea and no doubt suitable mines that can be deployed from them.

Iran has been building the Qaem-class submarine for coastal operations. The report said Qaem weighs 450 tons and can be equipped with torpedoes, naval mines, and missiles.
It should also be noted that Iran is also probably buying the type of torpedo that explodes underneath a ship as opposed from penetrating the hull!

Interesting read which sadly is dated 2009 but still very relevant.

I await alfred_the_great's reply as all I have suggested is that the kilo class might be better used in that actual Strait and either lay in wait in the shallower waters OR it be deployed to lay mines in the main shipping lanes. As per the other posts these are really either questions or attempts at stimulating debate. What that has to do with the North Atlantic I so far fail to see, but who knows?