PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - experienced B737 F/O unemployable?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2012, 15:38
mrx111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
experienced B737 F/O unemployable?

For the last time it looks like, the preferences of many airlines are going a wrong way in employing first officers. Every airline is trying to cut the costs and I already know several companies employing on right seat pilots, who are flying for free or even paying for that. My last company did the same last summer, one previous company where I was working has started doing the same. I was fired during the crises and instead of taking back experienced pilots they give a chance to low timers without any experience, because they don't get a salary. One day there will be a thousands of pilots who goes tru this way and the airlines keeps the costs low by paying for the captains only. Why nobody offers for example the program for experienced F/O to get captains trainig and get 500hrs as a captain? There are no jobs for B737/A320 for experienced F/O except something in China and the reason is simple as I'm describing here. I already have qualifications and enough hours on type to be qualified as a captain, but my airline has a seniority system like many others and a waiting time is more than 5 years or maybe even more today.