PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Human Factors: Effects of employment insecurity on aviation safety?
Old 4th Jan 2012, 12:50
Francis Frogbound
The One Your Mother Warned You About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Dear Shell Management;

Shame you had to bring up The Brent Spar, the crew were very close friends of both me and SND and VH, none of us liked the Spar, the owners insisted that it was safe for S61 despite what the pilots said.

You could of course brought up the Cormorant Alpha crash of 1992, with its higher death toll and findings about the platform owners own serious failings, I'm so glad you didn't, the helicopter world is so small and the crew from that were good friends to the three of us as well. One of the dead from those two accidents was best man at my wedding and all of the pilots involved attended it.

What you fail to realise is that in this small world the companies communicate at all levels, from the MDs to the pilots and engineers being neighbours or old friends from previous work, and certainly when I left the industry the double standards applied by the oil companies were a major topic of conversation.

If you are such a font of aviation knowledge you must have known that such cross company communication existed, and that safety data was disseminated across all three companies very quickly as a result. Of course as such a font you will also have realised that your behaviour in bringing up the Spar was vile, contemptible and guaranteed to cause distress. Your hatred of pilots must run far deeper than anyone thought, and makes me wonder if you are actually fit to be out in the community.

Now can we please get back to the question about employment pressure affecting the performance of pilots.

P.S I did spell it as font, didn't I?......................................