PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2012, 11:38
brian_dromey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we would all like to see services to JFK/BOS on the departures boards at ORK, it will always be a difficult sell.

- Relatively small catchment population, well served by both SNN and DUB. Much of the catchment of ORK is well served by road, particularly those areas to the North of the city.
- Frequent multiple daily flights to AMS and LHR provide flexibility for onward connections, the daily CDG offers another alternative. MAN is also quite a popular connecting point for EK, again with 2x daily flights, LGW is also an alternative.
- The aircraft EI use for transatlantic service may/may not face operational restrictions out of ORK and are likely too large for the market. Aside from the presence of existing EI service to JFK and BOS in SNN.
- Carriers with the right sized aircraft (757) already serve SNN. Huge subsides and revenue guarantees would be required to get them to move their business form SNN to ORK. I can't see them serving both airports concurrently. In the current climate I can not see business prepared to put a revenue guarantee in place.

Personally, I feel there is lower hanging fruit that could be piked first. Routes like FRA and ZRH, possibly HEL or CPH, would provide improved links to Asia and the middle east, which is what we really need. Other things like restoring the link to DUB or getting the second daily EI flight to LGW back would be much more beneficial from a connectivity standpoint than a 'prestige' north american route. If I were the CAA, I would be pushing very hard for EIR to base another ATR at ORK, rather than pushing EI for an A330.