PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2012, 10:52
4dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RTFQ

Goobledock,

Aleck’s statement contradicts or challenges the ICAO and CASA support of Just Culture, does it not?
errhh, no, it is doesn't!

I suppose you would have to read the presentation teaser with a bit of attention to detail, combined with a bit of open-mindedness:

Caution is good counsel, from a practical and intellectual perspective alike, and it is in that light that I will consider some real and telling examples of the risks an undiscriminating embrace of ‘just culture’ may entailfor the very objectives many of its proponents so enthusiastically endorse.
I would have loved to hear the presentation (or see a transcript) because I believe that it would have been about understanding what "just culture" really is and, most importantly, is not. It would have been about the limitations of defining the boundaries between those actions that require corrective and/or disciplinary action and those that do not. I certainly hope it may have touched upon the potential conflicts between a proactive safety philosophy and a reactive and retributive legal system and the implications for operators in respect of s28BE of the Civil Aviation Act 1988.

Frankly, there are much bigger issues on the horizon....

Stay Alive,