PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in Hawaii
Thread: PPL in Hawaii
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2012, 09:50
Droste

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation *ICAO Requirement (to be INSPECTED by examiner or inspector)*

Originally Posted by Hodja
Note, in case you're a non-US citizen & require a student visa, only a handful of Hawaii pilot schools are SEVIS approved...
I am not US citizen but I definitly do not need student or any visa.

Originally Posted by englishal
Just to clarify...... if you have a pilot certificate you don't need visa. And you don't need TSA for a BFR.
I have one. I am aware I do not need TSA clearance.

Originally Posted by pboyall
If you have a based-on 61.75 certificate, do you need TSA to do the flight test to make it a permanent one? Just a thought if you're flying a BFR anyway ...
I am licensed.

Originally Posted by 172driver
Droste, do you hold an FAA license? If so, you don't need an examiner for a BFR, any instructor can do it. You also don't need a student visa or TSA clearance, the BFR is not classed as flight training.
I am holder of FAA license. I am fully aware of the above.

My reason to request BFR with an FAA Examiner/Inspector as follow:

Stupid ICAO insist all applicants to have a proficiency check (within 12 calendar months) before requesting for foreign license conversion.

How I wish any CFI can do it but strict foreign aviation authority requires all applicants to have a flight with an FAA examiner or Inspector. (It is the stupid ICAO ruling).

Many US flight schools NOT aware of this! If a flight school has Indian students, the school will know Indian student requires proficiency check (within 12 calendar months) before requesting for foreign license conversion.

E.g. if an applicant has a FAA PPL in 30 Jan 2010, he must have a proficiency check lastest by 29 Jan 2011 inorder to apply for foreign licence conversion.

E.g. if an applicant has an FAA ATP in 30 Jan 1999, he must have a proficiency check within 12 calendar months inorder to apply for foreign licence conversion. Even if he is current and flying B747 as a Captain, he requires a proficiency check by FAA!

By the way, I am not an Indian and I am not flying in India. I am in Southeast-Asia now and the nearest I can go is Hawaii or Guam.

Please advise if there is any school in Hawaii can arrange one? Or can anybody recommend one? I can pay any fee to the FAA Examiner.

Last edited by Droste; 4th Jan 2012 at 10:06.