PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots: Is Anybody Interested in Being One? (AVWEB)
Old 4th Jan 2012, 08:17
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A conundrum.

Of the highest water. As said, it's a puzzle. But I agree with the concerns of the first poster.

I have seen 3 big and a couple of smaller “bubbles” of golden times for pilots. The classic was 1989 of course, house prices sky high, aviation booming, jobs everywhere, then Whoof, all gone, big recession. All change, tickets please.

The current environment 'feels' a bit like that time; bit too good, bit too much choice and a lot more 'one eyed' expectation from the all parties concerned.

Unless you're a complete 'aerosexual' flying is, these days pretty much seen as a 'non glamor', no public comprehension profession. There certainly are better lives to be had, better wages, better conditions, more time at home, etc. etc. If you love it, no problem, but if you have been brought up in the 'modern' era, where 1 or 2 choccy biscuits was a negotiation with Mum, rather than a hoped for concession for being a good lad, well there the problem begins.

There is list from not being able to fix a motor bike to 'easy exam passes', to the GPS and the demon automation out there, a mile long as to the reasons why. I dunno where to point the finger.

There is a problem and I worry that the guys with the skill and 'passion' to fix it up, will not exist within the next few years.

I do know one thing, the air is unforgiving. Mummy will not and cannot save you when it's truly 'game on'; and, until the concept of immortality is fully understood by junior pilots nothing will change, except the body count.

The hours are long, the tasks can be deadly, the pressures are still there, unchanged since Pontious.

The short answer, no idea. For the long answer, read the threads here for a snapshot. For some, it's wonderful, for others it's a confused mess.

For me – dinner time.