PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 down Rio de Janeiro
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 23:52
rotor67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, for me 20-23 kts airspeed would have been ideal....

What would you say would be the main reason for losing tail rotor control in your case?
Was it 20kts downwind or reducing airspeed to possibly being in the negative? Did you make large collective inputs due to losing ETL (with big change in torque as a result) with feet not being able to follow?
The wind was at my 8 O Clock, and I knew it was there, that's the part that bugged me, I knew it was there! BUT my attention to trying to slow down too much in order to get the shot, and not fly the helicopter the way I should've been! It's a natural habit, as that you're starting to slow down with cyclic, you'll automatically pull a bit of collective, at the time though, maybe 20 inches MP, I was at sea level, and a very cold day for SoCal. There was honestly, a two beat, from the time I dropped below 20 kts, to when the helicopter yawed a bit to the right, then BAM, spun 3 times in a blink of an eye. I was behind the helicopter the whole time, I had to react to it, rather than vise versa.

Unless I am directly into the wind, will I drop it below 20 kts forward airspeed to get a shot. I know I introduced it to myself, and I've since forgiven myself for it, but I will never forget that experience, and lesson learned! Hope this helps!
Rob