PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Off airfield confined areas
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2002, 17:52
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more cautionary tale before I get back to my work .....
Vortex says: "Keep your nav up to speed." He's right, and it can happen to the best.

Some years ago, I was defending a pilot in a case some distance from London. We arranged to meet the evening before the trial at a country house hotel not far from the Court. The pilot, a very experienced PPL (one of the best and most professional PPLs with whom I've ever flown) was at the hotel when my solicitor and I arrived. Chatting before dinner, the pilot (who'd flown in) suddenly said: "This place is bl**dy difficult to find from the air. You'll never believe what happened. I landed in the garden of a house a mile away. They were very nice about it. I can't believe it, all my flying is to private sites, I've never done that before. I was using my GPS. I can't understand it." He added he'd prefer we didn't say anything to the expert witness when he arrived because it was too embarrassing.
A little later, our expert witness arrived, an extremely experienced professional pilot. "Sorry I'm a little late. It's rather embarrassing to tell you, but ................. They were very nice about it. In fact, they said I was the second helicopter who'd landed there this evening."
Warning: Be cautious when a hotel receptionist gives you co-ordinates.

I'm pleased to say the pilot was rightly acquitted of all his charges in due course.