PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Icao Language Proficiency Check
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 18:06
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The German law says "need to be proficient in the language or English". I don't know the equivalent French bill but I bet it does not contain the "or English" part.
I've asked you for a reference for this, and obvioulsy you can't give one, but you say it again as if it's fact. This has come up before on the forums, but nobody has ever been able to find a law or regulation saying it is so.

There is no reference whatsoever to it in the French AIP (where pilots visiting the country would be expected to look).

If nobody can find the law, and it's not mentioned in the AIP, it's in all likelyhood no such law exists, and you are simply confused with what might be a good idea and what is law.

Indeed it would make French airfields in accessable to many foreign pilots even if they were fluent French speakers, simply because there is no facility to add French languange proficiency to their licence.

Imagine a Norweign pilot asking the Norweign CAA for a French Languange Proficiency test so that they could add it to their licence. It's very unlikely that they would have developed such a test, or have such an examiner.

Norwegian is not an ICAO language and while theoretically possible, the AIP would probably not declare an aerodrome as Norwegian speaking only. The same applies to German which isn't an ICAO language either (mainly because ICAO was founded in 1944 without Germany) so all aerodromes are indicated as de/en in the AIP. In France, most smaller aerodromes are indicated as fr/en during official opening hours and fr only outside business hours. Some fields are only indicated as fr.
If your reading of French laws is as good as your reading of my post...
I never mentioned the Norwegian language, but rather a Norweigan licence holder wanting to use a French only airfield.

As for
The same applies to German [...]so all aerodromes are indicated as de/en in the AIP
This has already been pointed out to you as being incorrect. I can add further examples.

If you want to use the radio in Norwegian or French, then you must have Norwegian or French in your license, same with any other language.
Westwind....now you've made the same claim. Can you provide a reference for this?

Going to a French only field without a French endorsement is poor flight planing.
Why?
I don't believe that there is any legal requirement for it, as nobody seems to be able to find such a law. If there isn't such a low then all the pilot needs is a working knowledge of the language. And in any case, for many of these fields it is acceptable to arrive non-radio, so what does language matter?

And how is one supposed to plane or obtain such an endorsement?
Exactly! This is what I was trying to show in my example of a Norwegian licence holder wanting to visit a French only airfield.
How for example am I supposed to get a French languange cert for my Irish licence? It's simply not possible.

If nobody can produce the law that says this is a requirement, and it doesn't say anything in the AIP, then I think it's just misinformed hearsay.