PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitting on a Soldier's Grave
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 15:51
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to start? I really have to nail a few errors and misrepresentations perpetrated here. It continues to surprise me how often wartime propaganda and rumour passes for fact even after this length of time.

First, to declare an interest. One of my uncles, possibly two fall into that category. One definitely deserted the Irish army and went to England. I don't know if he served in the British forces but he remained a little nervous that he might be arrested on his visits home. Another uncle was a member of the LDF (Home Guard) and left to join the RAF but failed the medical. I'd be interested in seeing the list to see if they're there.

What happened is a disgrace and should be redressed however late it is now.

Tankertrashnav
A very creditable campaign. This was a shameful period in Ireland's history. The actions of de Valera's state were in contrast to the courage of a large number of its citizens,
Recommend you acquire a book called 'Guarding Neutral Ireland' by Michael Kennedy. A scholarly work which nails many of the myth surrounding Ireland's so called neutrality. How about a British naval attache accompanying the head of Irish military intelligence on an inspection tour of the Coast Watching service? Not very neutral. There are numerous examples.

Just a Spotter, get your facts right:
In fact it is the Constitution of Ireland that imposed neutrality on the State.
Absolutely untrue. There is nothing in the constitution about neutrality and there never will be. As things stand Ireland is currently not even neutral. Ireland is non aligned. There was even a attempt to join NATO after the war.

As for your pedantic reiteration, where's the roll eyes icon, of the correct title of the country. It's unneccessary. We all know exactly what's meant. During the war it was Eire or the Irish Free State. Now it's Ireland but if you're British and want to be specific, Republic of Ireland. Get over it.

Irish men had fought and died in the first world war as members of the British Army, as Ireland was still part of the UK at the time, seen their capital levelled by that same army in response to a relatively small and poorly organised armed insurrection
Dublin wasn't levelled and that's a matter of historical fact. The damage was localised and there's plenty of photos to prove that. I'm also sorry to see you denigrate the rebellion as merely 'small and poorly organised'.

Parabellum:
According to a recent article published here in Oz, relating to a TV programme I missed, some 534 allied airmen were detained in The Republic of Ireland, most were released in May 1945. Some escaped to the North due to lax security and possible collusion as well as a friendly public.
I think you'll find that it was May 1943 and all were released. In fact there never was an intention to intern Allied airmen but the Germans complained about unfair treatment and it became neccessary with the agreement of the British. It's a well known story but they weren't exactly locked up and most lived a full life of hunting, fishing, dancing and chasing girls and even studying in college. In reality many others were quietly conveyed to the border. There was even a case or two of aircraft being refuelled and allowed to continue. No US service personnel were interned. There was plenty of collusion even by the military.

Dan Winterland:
the positioning of Allied radars on Irish soil all demonstrate this.
Not true in fact but other than that you are correct.

To redress the balance somewhat, there were plenty of examples of favourable treatment of ex HM services people in business and the professions. Much of which even then was dominated by Anglo Irish Protestants. My Father's employer for example had a strict employment policy of hiring British ex servicemen, followed by Irish protestants and Irish Catholic ex service and eventually when all else failed Irish Catholics like my Dad. This was in Dublin by the way. This kind of thing was prevalent. Guinness only appointed it's first Catholic manager in the sixties.

Such was the reality of the times.