PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Campaign for a proper instrument rating
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2002, 16:31
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rustle

No injustice meant, I was just being matter of fact, apologies if I came over badly. Irony is not well transmitted via these new fangled methods. I just hear a lot of people say London is the busiest place in the world (and I am sure it is if you define busiest narrowly enough) and we cannot fit more planes in. I don't think that is true.

fff

Again just being matter of fact here, I have no axe to grind, just throwing out food for thought. LGW is a "mere" class D and doesn't even rank in any 'busiest airport in the world' list I can find. I am using movements not passengers as I think that is more relevant for looking at traffic flow and airspace usage.

I took the figures for the primary airports in the TMA. Look at the airports within the TMA of any of the US airports I cited. You will find plenty of Class D airports and even plenty of class C, and even the occasional class B. The London TMA is nothing compared with NY Approach, Chicago Approach, SOCAL Approach, Bay Approach, Atlanta Approach....... In all these TMAs you will find PPL IRs mixing it with the big boys, to a greater or lesser degree. I'm not saying you will not be vectored around a bit if heading for a reliever airport, or even have to hold a bit if you are foolish enough to want to land at the primary airport, but these TMAs handle a lot more big and small IFR traffic than London.

As for weather, America is a big place and it's not all desert. There is pretty extreme weather to be found where people put airports.

Gengis

Indeed, the beaurocracy might even be desirable to some regulatory authorities . I think you are correct in asking what is the minimum requirement for an ICAO IR and just use that. Unfortunately ICAO Annex 1 is only available if you cough up the dough. If a US IR fits, then that should be good enough. Unfortunately we now have to ask the French whether it's OK to have a CAA ICAO IR.