PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 12:11
Callmebede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Macair 1974-C206 Crash.

I was employed as a LAME by Macair in Lae at the time and knew both of the pilots pretty well. They had the same name i.e. R.S. and lived one either side of me in the small Bed-Sits in Taun St. We shared most meals together as I was the only one with any decent cooking gear, or cooking skills, for that matter.
The elder R.S. had a GA Instructing background and had only a short time earlier, arrived from the Nth Brisbane area. He had a wife and young family who were to join him, when he had settled into Lae.
The younger R.S. had been part way through a RAAF Jet Course at Pierce, WA, before taking the position at Macair. He had been with Macair considerably longer than elder R.S. and on the day of the crash, was in the LH seat, with R.S. the elder riding along for a familiarization flight. I've read the reports on the Kiap Forum and saw mentioned that he may have been an ex Army person. I doubt this is correct. From memory, his father, whom I met after the crash, may have been an Ex-Army person.
On the evening prior to the crash, we shared a meal with a young couple from Bentleigh, Vic. They were visiting and had rented another of the Bed-Sits for their weeks stay. Amongst other things we discussed over the meal, was photography, which resulted in the younger RS and I deciding we'd buy new camera's the next day. We also decided that the five of us would lunch together. On the day of the crash, R.S. the younger and I bought a new Pentax Spotmatic II each and the five of us ate take-out lunch on the grassy hill in town, above the Airport. Shortly before lunch the two R.S. had been advised of the afternoon flight, so they didn't linger. Both departed down the hill with an air of excitment. Flying, good weather and R.S the younger was eager to try out his new camera. He was very keen on WWII aircraft wrecks. We arranged the menu for that evenings meal and that was the last I saw of them.