PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QRA question
Thread: QRA question
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 08:23
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Trap One,

There were many occasions where the Shack and the F4 worked together. The old saw plan as an 8, walk as a 4, taxi as a pair . . . applied to the F4 as much as the Tonka.

We frequently acted as both target and controller for a single F4. Quite easy to control as we knew where the target was and only had to find the interceptor That was easy too as long as he squawked.

But for a painting would you care to try your hand an a night painting?

One night, no moon, viz pretty dark, suspect oil leak on No 2. Any visual traces would have been on the outboard side of the cowling.

Ask F4 if he carried a torch. He did. Could he have a look? He would.

What we had assumed was that the might F4 would carry a mega Q-type search light. What he didn't tell us was it was the Navs tiny pocket torch with a range of less than 3 feet with a red filter.

Anyway Biggles slows down and eases in, he is flying nose high with the radome between No 1 and 2 and probably only inches behind the props.

I am sure with artistic licence you could provide enough illumination with anti-colls etc.