PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Wrist watches...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 06:11
ExSp33db1rd

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Really? I use mine all the time; e.g. in Sainsbury's yesterday.............
Agree, 'cept I use a 2" dia. plastic circular slide rule ( a.k.a. back of an E6B computer) glued into my wallet, that was a gimmick key ring purchased in Kowloon about 40 years ago, for about tuppence in old money. keeps the Supermarket on the straight and narrow - bar stewards.

Oh ! watches ........

I bought a Seiko analogue no frills watch in 1988............
Ditto, 'cept I got mine around 1978. Black dial, clear white hands and numbers, sweepsecond hand, date. Wot more do you want ? I think I'm on my 3rd battery and I allowed Seiko to clean it, once. Unbelievably accurate, can't remember when I last adjusted it.

I dallied with a Glycine 'mechanical automatic' for awhile, had to keep the wrist moving, as in ....... Oh, you know. The hour hand only went around the dial once every 24hrs, instead of twice, which meant that 12 Noon was at the bottom of the dial, not the top. Could keep it on GMT (UTC hadn't been invented in those days ) and move the outside bezel to local time - except those infuriating places that were 30 mins. adrift. Like Bombay.

In then end, 'cos one doesn't 'read' a watch, I had to abandon it for the same reason that I don't like a digital watch, you actually have to read the numbers instead of just glancing at it, with an analogue watch you just look at the 'picture' briefly. Still have it, but can't keep the wrist moving fast enough to keep it wound up these days, so it is "amongst my souvenirs" - somewhere !