PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 02:18
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
---- but Aleck’s statement contradicts or challenges the ICAO and CASA support of Just Culture, does it not?
Folks,
It is a huge leap to assume that:
(1) The CASA Kulture actually supports the ICAO Just Culture, or even interprets Just Culture as ICAO sees it. I think, to CASA, it is just culture.
(2) CASA sees a genuine Just Culture approach as producing better air safety outcomes than produced by the present complex, convoluted and contradictory mass of criminal law that constitutes aviation law and enforcement in Australia.

A good example of the same words meaning different things is the Australian approach to Safety Management Systems, which (if you understand the underlying philosophy) turns the ICAO recommendations on their head, so that SMS is rapidly just becoming another "enforcement tool" in Australia.

Having said all that, it is Dr. Aleck who is probably one of, if not the only, senior CASA executive who actually understand the ICAO intent of the Just Culture, probably the reason he is no longer head of the Legal Services Branch (or whatever it is now called) ----- too much Just Culture equals too few convictions.

As I am certain we would all agree, absolute enforcement of the letter of the law (or whatever I, as a CASA FOI/AWI thinks it is) is the best way to enforce air safety.

However, given how little progress we have made, in so may years, in improving our air safety outcomes (particularly compared to US) we obviously need more of it, and harder.

Because it couldn't possibly be that the whole approach in Australia is wrong, could it????

Tootle pip!!