PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 17:13
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
rotorspeed,

I very much agree with your post....in content, tone, message, and style.

The "Life Saving" mentality I refer to is the unhealthy one...the one where when the Tone goes on the pagers...the "Type A's" charge forth to challenge Death and steal victims from the Grim Reaper....no matter the risk to themselves as after all...they are "Heroes" when they smack ol' Mother Earth at near Warp Speed one dark night in really ugly weather.

That excludes a great number of folks who are quite professional...dedicated to serving their fellow Man the best they can but in a logical, professional, safe manner.

Anyone experienced in the Helicopter EMS business knows exactly what kind of folks I am talking about.

As Alouette correctly states....the aviation folks tend to be more in tune with the mission statement than the medical crews riding in the back of the cab. Granted they are far more exposed to the part of the task that would give them that feeling while the Flight crew(s) are more removed from the hands on part of the medical mission.

You want to become very unpopular amongst medical folks....publically state that position and find out how quickly your stock falls with the med crew! Far more than a few pilots learned that the hard way....and once the Med Crew decides to run you off....you might as well pack your bags because the Operator shall invariably put the contract far above standing behind the pilot. (Unless there has been some Lightning strikes I have not heard about!)