PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 17:11
alouette3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotorspeed,

I have yet to see such a well balanced post such as yours on this forum.Typically, it is a US Vs Europe discussion, with both sides defending their point of view vociferously.So, well done and thank you.
I am afraid that statistics you ask for probably do not exist.I think that is intentional. Most operators would like the status quo to persist.In fact, a Chief Pilot of a major EMS company is on record stating that twins/IFR capable helicopters don't necessarily enhance safety and cost way more to operate than the revenue they generate.Lawmakers who want to fix things are in the grip of lobbyist and the lobbyists work for the operators,not the patients or the folks generating the revenue.And so, the drumbeat carries on-----.
But, as a current EMS pilot, I will endorse what SAS less says.Right from the very beginning of an EMS career ,we are indoctrinated to beleive that we are NOT in the life saving business.We are not SAR.We are transportation on demand. It just so happens that the folks we transport are in need of medical help.Since most pilots are human enough to be pressurized into thinking otherwise, policies have been put inot place to take the emotion out of the picture. Ultimately, it is the pilot himself who has to make the call.If he puts that additional "white knight syndrome" pressure on himself, he will be guaranteed to make decisions that put people at risk.
Alt3.