PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 16:41
rotorspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless

Well if your only comment on my post is quibbling with my use of the term "saving lives" do I take it that you are broadly in agreement with the rest of it?

By saying "saving lives" I did not mean that was the only justification for use of HEMS. Other valid reasons would include for example improving the prognosis post serious injury and reducing expensive hospitalisation. Or, for those paying themselves and not by other's taxes, simply having a faster more comfortable transfer to hospital.

The vastly higher cost of HEMS compared with road ambulances certainly needs compelling justification if it is to be paid for by the public and not the end user. And of course making a significant contribution to the saving of lives must be a major reason.

To say that HEMS crews who believe they are saving lives are a liability to themselves is one of the most ridiculous things I've read! Many people have to work professionally knowing their services could influence life or death - just ask the SAR boys or surgeons, for example. I'm sure Crab feels quite able to rescue people and save lives without taking silly risks!