PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 14:34
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
what percentage of US HEMS flights are critical for life saving? What data is there on this? The US HEMS business is clearly a delicate balance between providing a huge ($2.5bn) industry that employs people and buys helicopters and parts etc, and one that cost-effectively saves lives.
My highlights in the quote......where is it written that the mission statement for HEMS...Helicopter EMS...is to "SAVE" lives?

My intent is to throw out a challenge to anyone in the Helicopter EMS business who thinks their express reason for being is "SAVING" lives!

I would submit...that kind of mindset is what kills Helicopter EMS crews.

I also will accept that lives are saved by the application of professional skills, protocols, and use of hi-tech equipment in the provision of the service Helicopter EMS crews are there to provide....that being the provision of safe, timely, efficient medical transportation of injured, ill, or hospitalized people.

Am I the only one who thinks that way?

Taken from the Air Methods Web site.....again...high lighting is mine.

Air Methods' mission is to provide safe, professional air medical transportation services, products, and systems with the highest level of quality and integrity. We are dedicated to providing excellent service to our customers, a fulfilling work environment for our staff, responsible membership in the medical aviation community and a reasonable return on capital to ensure long-term economic viability and healthy growth.

Last edited by SASless; 2nd Jan 2012 at 17:05.