PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Holmes and Erebus
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 12:50
TDK mk2
e28 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've enjoyed it too! The only time I've ever flown a public transport catagory jet (albeit a regional jet) at anything like 260kts clean at 1500' was on a visual approach and that was over water. I did ask a retired BA captain (757/767) about the Erebus circumstances quite a few years back and he said that the hair would have been standing up on the back of his neck in those conditions and he was well known for his slightly 'adventurous' style of operation on occasion.

I haven't really got a problem with the apportioning of resposibility for the conduct of the flight to the Pilot in Command but it's what happened in the aftermath which I find so disturbing as a line Captain, and that's what Justice Mahon got to the heart of. Unfortunately for him he learnt what I now suspect is the case in all public inquiries and the like conducted for governments of the Westminster system, and that is that the outcome is known by the establishment from the outset. Mahon discovered the conspiracy to conceal the systemic causes of this accident and laid them bare. Apparently legally he went too far in outing the conspiracy, and for that paid a huge price.

Going by some of the things I've seen posted here the lessons of this whole sorry saga haven't been learnt by some, and I suspect they are the sort of uncompromising black and whiters that I have to deal with from time to time. As was said to me by a wise fleet manager once, 'the ops manual is written in black and white but the world is not black and white'...