PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Marshall vs. Cathay Pacific Management
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 11:35
Sebastian Marshall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i learned long ago that in every country, in every company, there are people who either consistently or for some reason on a certain day, act poorly to people in front of them. nothing in your crusade is going to change that. (although i wish it would). sometimes, you have to just learn the old "nobless oblige" thing and realize you are facing a person on a power trip who has all the systems behind him/her. self righteousness is never gonna win in that situation. i spent a few hours in cuffs at a jail house in the US on the night of my university graduation because i did something slightly wrong and the law acted way out of line in the circumstances. ever since then, when i see a situation like that, i am all "yessir, no sir" because being otherwise is not going to help my cause.
That sucks dude, I'm sorry that happened. University graduation? Man, that's a hell of a lot worse than when going on vacation.

I'll tell you James, man, I don't know... I think this thing only happens because people take it. Also, y'know, I think part of the problem is that I was dressed strange that day - halfway high-business like you saw in the first video, halfway touristy... I think he mistook me for a punk rock kid or something, not a serious businessman. I was talking to him as an equal (maybe even slightly condescending, maybe) and he flips out - I think it's a face/authority thing. I wonder if the same thing happened in your case, since you were "just a college kid" when they did that to you?

You know what I mean? Like, you're a pilot, I'm a businessman, we get treated pretty well. Doesn't it kind of suck that weak people get muscled around? We can file complaints, sort it out later, write nasty letters... but I think authority tends to not try to crack down on us so much because we're serious people. But what about the people who just take the abuse of some jerk's power trip?

I think people like Murphy try to do it to weak people. I'm 99% sure he mistook me for just some cocky kid or something. I was dressed off - long black coat, ushanka Russian hat, but then light blue jeans, fashionable young shirt, scarf... it didn't match at all, I just threw it together to go on vacation.

But man, so what? I hate that, I hate that people like Murphy just abuse people when they feel like they can get away with it. I guarantee he wouldn't pull that **** if I was in a suit.

I just... it drives me crazy to think he'll pick on people who won't stand up for themselves.