PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 09:29
Wag888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Captain Sand Dune,

Not sure how to take your post, I am presuming there is humour involved

This has been such a long fight for my husband. He joined the army at 16, completed his apprenticeship, then HSC and was accepted for flight training. I believe at that point in time the age cut off was 26 - his dreams were shattered when he had to undergo a knee reconstruction and by the time he had rehabilitated, he had missed the cut off age - he then decided to leave the defence force after serving 10 years.

About 14 months ago I was talking to a girlfriend (as we do) and she mentioned her husband going to flight screening anyway to cut a long story short we found out the age cut off had been increased. Hence the application. I think the first time we applied was about 14 months ago and in this time my husband has lost close to 20kgs, exercises like a demon, has got his cholesterol down to normal levels by diet alone and is basically the fittest he has ever been.

It's amazing what motivation can do for you - he is so focused and I am personally so excited at the prospect of him living his dream.

Flight screening is the next step, so we are nervously anticipating the call/letter.

Worst case scenario is that he is fit and healthy but the kids and I all have our fingers and toes crossed for him.