PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay to Fly (Merged Feb '12)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 08:55
BigNumber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Tarmac

Firstly; Tarmac a very happy New Year to you. It's back to work for me today positioning to a northern uk base (through Victoria if you fancy a coffee?) to start my run of days on, so yes; I actually hold a licence

I wouldn't take issue with much you just posted,:-

however:-

1. No one is promised guaranteed employment following a P2F. It is what it is. A chance to have a turn at flying a modern passenger aircraft and exercise the licences held in a Commercial environment.

It will however, IMO, add to the CV and give a much better chance of gaining a job than 200 hours MEP and a spot of FI time. At least the usual 500hrs on type application criteria is now met.

2. Everyone seems focused on the assertion that holding a licence instantly implies being a professional pilot, hence the inability to identify with my analogy of the Golf Club membership. Holding a CPL does not make anyone a professional pilot. P2F is not professional flying, it is at the very best a period of training but more obviously a paid for experience to enjoy. It is not employment. It is however Fun; I would understand that you are a professional pilot ie flying for reward, do you not enjoy flying for flying sake? salarly needs asside. Not all golfers at the golf club are, or ever will turn pro. But, they can all enjoy golf and have a fun experience at the club.

3. Safety is the job of the regulator before anyone suggests that joe public are being placed in danger. Joe Public are quite happy with the subsidized airfares thankyou. P2F ers provide a valuable income stream to a struggling airline market. P2F ers hold a licence, LPC, OPC, Line Cx, and can operate just as well as anyone else but they are not pro's. Many would like to be and view the P2F as a CV boost.

Finally, responsibility for financial restraint rests with the individual. Those of us with 'life experience' know how to ballance the books and make the ends meet. I would hope that the vast majority of people would not bankrupt themselves to get a go on the P2F ride? However, if they can afford it, let them have their fun........ some might get the chance to turn pro.