PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coffee Break
Thread: Coffee Break
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2012, 04:34
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One reported 'Ranbow's' tasking into the Papworth Hospital (above) but, from an operational point of view the real story was Philip's uplift and transfer the night before:

It is believed the Duke was flown to the hospital, which is around 60 miles away from the Sandringham estate, by a Sea King helicopter from RAF Wattisham, near Stowmarket in Suffolk, where Prince Harry is based.
When at first I read that the Duke had arrived during the night via helicopter I had assumed that Rainbow had been deployed for this and was wondering what kind of procedure TQHF followed for making a recce prior to landing. From the images it looks as though Rainbow used a car park for the landing and presumably this is what the Sea King carrying Philip the night before also used. I suppose with a crewman 'out the door' they are in a better position to survey the landing site prior to setting down!

Teenager, 16 completes first solo

Alex Berl of White Plains New York recently completed his first solo flight in a helicopter at the age of 16. Alex's father, Carlos Berl, flies both airplanes and helicopters and enjoys seeing his children follow his path, “It’s an incredible feeling to see them fly for themselves,” he said.

Berl will be able to obtain a private license when he turns 17 in June. After high school, he plans to attend a military school with a Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program for which he can fly helicopters. If he likes it, he plans to make a career out of it.

His father said it takes passion and enthusiasm to learn to fly, and that the reward is great, whether a pilot makes it a career out of it or not.

More