PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA PPL
Thread: JAA PPL
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2012, 23:33
cheechm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JAA PPL

Now I know this topic has been talked to death, but everyone is in a different situation. Furthermore, having read so many different topics, its obvious that situations change. One flight school can be the best one month, then suddenly have disappeared off the face of the earth. Anyway, let me explain my situation:

I'm 18 years old and finished school in July 2011. I have always been interested in getting my PPL, and as I am on my gap year at the moment I thought when better but now. I am currently building funds towards it, and will hopefully have enough to start at the beginning of March. However I need to make some decisions, and some very important ones at that. Learning to fly in Florida is attractive because of better weather conditions to the UK, cheaper cost and easier accessibility*. I am eventually looking at having a JAA PPL, night rating and IMC rating. Not necessarily all at the same time. However I've heard mixed opinions about the flight schools in Florida that offer JAA PPLs. At the same time though, I'm worried about the cost of it all in the UK.

Is there another option? Could I get my FAA PPL in the States then convert in the UK? Or should I be looking for JAA PPL schools in different locations?

I know this is like asking "how long is a piece of string", but if I can get several options, then maybe I can start to piece together my own little "package".

TIA.

*I can get free flights to Florida (through airmiles) and have accommodation at the flight school included with a price for my license. However my current home is in Putney, so my nearest is more than 45 mins drive (I have my driving license), and given the changeability of English weather, that is more of a problem.