PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Marshall vs. Cathay Pacific Management
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2012, 16:00
Sebastian Marshall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole day was screwed up from the start. Look, I've flown... dozens, maybe hundreds of times? I've never had a day like that. I've been through 60-some countries now and done all kinds of strange travel (China to Mongolia over land-crossing type stuff) and never had anything close to this.

The end result of what happened was I had two paper economy tickets and a slip of paper with handwriting on it that said First Class, but I was seated in Business on the first flight and not First... I went to the business class lounge to get the tickets changed, they scanned the economy ticket, it beeped, and then they said, "Oh, you're eligible for the first class lounge" and they had a staff member walk me there. I'd meant to ask at business class about if I needed to change paper tickets, but they scanned mine and things were fine, and then First Class just waved me without much fuss, and I figured things were okay.

The whole day was a cluster**** from start to finish, after 4-5 screwups and not-quite-rights you kind of just figure you'll have to explain it to a manger. And so I asked for one politely. And he shows up and threatens me.

Really though, the tickets are kind of irrelevant. When someone says, "You're making a mistake, but fine, I'll do it your way - just commit it to writing" - the appropriate response isn't to call the police.

He could have said, "Step off the plane and I'll write my decision down" and I'd have done it. He could have said his decision on audio - if he was 100% sure he was right, he only needed to just repeat it again. The story isn't the travel screwup - I've seen many of those, I was at Heathrow on my way to Kiev the day the plane crashed on the runway, and that was a hell of a time, I had Austria -> Dubai screwed up due to extremely heavy winds and spent a night in Germany, I've seen all sorts of stuff. But I've never been threatened, which is just absurd. And I tell the guy to own some accountability for his threat, and he calls the police? Absurd. Nah, it's beyond absurd. We can't let people act like this. I'm strong enough to speak up for myself and usually people start acting more decently. But guys like Murphy just abuse and coerce weak people, and make the world a terrible place to live in.