PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA AND THE IMCR - NEWS
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2012, 15:58
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterh337
It doesn't, but the screens cannot help in the lookout. If you have ever sat inside an aircraft equipped with them (particularly the standard FTO ones which cover the entire windscreen including the upper portion) you can see that lookout has to be compromised.
I agree that the ability for lookout (for the FI) during instrument training with screens is severely reduced, but they are far better than the hood, since you have the ability to see the instrument panel as you would see it in actual IMC. That being said, one should know better when to use screens and when to use hood/nothing at all (both pilots maintain the lookout) - surely it is pretty OK to put screens on at the lineup (and have the instructor watch that the aircraft doesn't veer to the edge of the runway) when departing a quite airfield with little or no significant traffic, but what I've read in the report (I didn't read the entire report though), it was nor time nor place for instrument training with screens. For example, I flew the departure section of my IR exam without hood/screen in 50km vis VMC, since it would be very dangerous to do otherwise (4 aircraft in traffic patterns + couple of mixed VFR and IFR arrivals). I think some logical thinking solves most of the problems concerning lookout in instrument training.