PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private pilot dropout hours - US
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2012, 11:44
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Whopity
In 1995 the CAA published CAP 667 -Review of General Aviation Fatal Accidents 1985-1994. This appeared to be a very authoritative document so based upon my own observations, I asked them what proportion of owner operators were involved in in these accidents. They had no idea. I believe on further investigation it was shown to be a substantial proportion indicating that they had omitted to consider a major factor in their analysis.
CAA publish one of those aviation safety reviews every 3-4 years and they are very thorough and useful. Each normally covers the last 10 years.

I *think* that the most recent was the 2008 CAP 780, downloadable here and covering 1998-2007.

You probably could analyse UK statistics to see if the alleged Killing Zone exists or not, but I doubt any other country provides a well enough documented population to find out. It would be interesting and worthwhile to do so, but would take a while - although all you'd actually need to do is look up all the individual accident reports from the AAIB website and note the captain's hours. Easy enough.

G