PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Budget carrier having a laugh
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2002, 10:55
worriedwife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My hubby is an army heli pilot leaving in 2 years and about to start his distance learning ATPL I'm just doing a bit of research into this myself since I will have to make big sacrifices of time together and money (nothing different to the army then!) if he's going to go for it.

We are unsure if it's a good idea given the cost and the current market for jobs. He and his mates seem to be budgeting about £22k for the ATPL & MCC etc (some exemptions) but no one seems to have realised (or have I misunderstood?) that a) hardly anyone is recruiting, b) there are loads of already type rated experienced 737 pilots ready to fill jobs when they do recruit and c) no one pays to train you for type so you have to pay yourself another approx £15k?? d) unless you go to EZY and get locked into working for a horrible company for 5 years.

I had doubts before but having trailed around many websites and the forums here, I wonder whether he would be better getting a civvy job, doing distance learning and applying when the market improves. Also, if you do your ATPL and then are unemployed, do you become uncurrent and have to take some exams again at further cost to yourself?

All advice gratefully received, sorry to barge in on your website boys!