PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Campaign for a proper instrument rating
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2002, 10:48
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Campaign for a proper instrument rating

Campaign Private Pilot IR!
The lack of an available instrument rating for the private pilot has been a common theme on this forum.

It would seem most agree that the JAA IR does not provide a wholly relevant theoretical framework for the private pilot. Moreover, the renewal requirements would seem unnecessarily onerous for the private pilot.

The IMC rating provides a reasonable alternative, but its national status and restriction to national territorial boundaries would seem contrary to a pan European licensing system. Moreover the holder is unable to operate in the lower airways.

In consequence many have chosen to hold the FAA IR and re register their aircraft on the N reg., arguably demonstrating that it is safe to operate a privately owned single with lower airways capability on a license that is realistically obtainable and maintainable by a private pilot.

It seems to me that the GA fraternity should be a powerful lobby both in the UK and through out Europe. Moreover in one way or another we pay for much of the airspace infrastructure. Surely if the GA community want and can justify a European IR aimed at the private pilot with a sufficiently vigorous campaign it may be achievable, or are we as a group just too disorganised or lacking in a sufficiently representative body?

I have added this edit because it would be interesting to see what we would wish changed in the PPL IR. My own views at this stage would be:

1. A single examination using the multiple choice approach for which the study could be entirely undertaken at home. Why? The rating we need is a private rating not a professional rating like the current IR. The theoretical training therefore should be concerned with assessing whether the applicant has the technical knowledge to operate a light piston aircraft within European airspace in an IFR enviroment. The CAA believes that is achievable with the present IMC rating theory test within the UK . What would change is access to the lower airways and European airspace in IMC so deal with the theoretical knowledge required for this access in the same way,
2. I see know reason to change the in flight training required. Around 40 hours seems not unreasonable, possibly with some exemption for existing IMC holders,
3. Instructors able to provide IR training are few and far between. Instructors presently qualified to provide IMC training and testing should be permitted to provide PPL IR training and testing,
4. The curreny requirements should be based on the FAA model.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 20th Nov 2002 at 12:41.