PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF nepotism
Thread: QF nepotism
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2002, 09:36
Al E. Vator

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Take this as you will folks.

I know this for a fact (first-hand) but am sure it will receive flak as it may be a little close to the bone.

Metro Boy is perhaps closer to the mark than he realises with his comments re the 'aptitude' test. Most applicants do OK with the flying (some better than others of course) and the so-called 'skills' test is very easy. Interviews are nervous affairs and do have their uses but the big Unknown is the aptitude test.

For the 'right' candidate, intra-company coaching as to how to get through the 'aptitude' test IS available. In fact even if the first result doesn't meet the criteria as determined by the company (ie: the person is unsuccessful on the first interview), should circumstaces permit (that person has sufficient contact in high places within Qantas), coaching can be received in order to be able to provide the 'correct' answers at subsequent attempts.

Again, all I will say is that I know this first hand. I won't elaborate as I could get somebody into trouble but believe it is patently unfair to literally thousands of genuine applicants who 'lack' the suitable criteria to join Qantas. Whether I took advantage of this knowlege is immaterial, the fact is that manipulation of the aptitude test DOES exist and is the arbiter of whether a candidate is successful or otherwise.

This situation can be looked at in two ways.

1) Qantas can employ who they want and this is their prerogative (just like the Melbourne Club won't take Jews). It may be morally repugnant but it's "their train-set" so too bad. Maybe there is merit in this argument.

2) Alternatively it could be viewed as a disgusting practice where Flight Operations can easily discriminate against 'non-desirables' by providing assistance to family members or other chosen-ones. This may or may not be with the tacit approval of upper-level management. I do for example know one current QF pilot rejected for political reasons initially (He was a non-returnee from '89 and his application was childishly torpedoed by an ex-TAA manager now within the QF managerial system [edit, to remove name. Don't name names please....]. Political contacts liased with the then CEO who overturned the Flight Ops decision and this pilot is now excelling within the airline). However I suggest upper-level involvement is not common and Recruitment is left generally to its own game.

So to think any recruiting system is totally fair is of course folly but the Qantas system is most unfair. Whilst of course, suitable applicants may strike the 'right' answers (whatever they may be at any given time) if they are lucky, candidates with the right contacts have a distinct and unfair advantage. All I will say is I categorically know this first-hand and fortunately I am very pleased with the outcome. I do not work for Qantas.

Most (not all but very many) young pilots when they set out on their carers dream of flying a jet for an airline. Qantas is usually the airline of choice for these young aviators (it used to be Ansett, TAA or Qantas, but given the events in Aviation recently and the candidates Virgin are fortunate enough to take, Qantas is basically the only game in town).

Of course there will be respondents who note they got into QF with no contact but those who got in WITH those contacts will naturally never admit that this was a factor.

In my humble opinion, the fact that the Qantas pilot recruitment system is so flawed is a travesty and if made known to a young guy/girl setting out on a career in aviation should make him think twice before forking-out all those bucks. Many Aussies now fly for overseas airlines of course which ultimately often proves intellectually and financially more beneficial but the fact remains that when applying for Qantas it is not a level playing-field.

One thing I have gleaned from many years in aviation is that high quality candidates will inevitably succeed at whatever they do, wherever that may be. Great aviators/nice people may for reasons outside their control not make it into a specific airline because of dud recruiting practices but they WILL succeed in life. So I personally would not let a corrupt recruitment system at Qantas distract me or my daughter/son from a career in aviation but they should be aware that the odds of employment with Qantas are far lessened if they have no influence within the company.

Last edited by Sick Squid; 4th Dec 2002 at 19:58.